Swap social media for TV unless you have a million fans, says Diageo marketer
Brands should abandon social networks if they are unable to build communities of a million consumers, according to Philip Gladman, Diageo's western Europe white spirits marketing director.
Smirnoff: Diageo vodka brand
Speaking at yesterday's ISBA annual conference, Gladman told the audience that "size matters".
"It takes communities of one million to even start paying back on a social platform," he claimed during an afternoon session titled 'Changing the Game'.
"Unless you are going to get a million, don't bother... There's no point having a little Facebook community bubbling along," he said.
"Stick it in TV", is what brands in this predicament should do with their marketing spend, he added.
"Build and they will come", the famous quote from the Kevin Costner baseball film ‘Field of Dreams’, was "rubbish" when applied to social media, argued Gladman.
He also argued that brands would not get to a million fans without spending money on it, claiming that Procter & Gamble had spent $14m on making the Old Spice "The man your man could smell like" ad a viral success.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London