Swap social media for TV unless you have a million fans, says Diageo marketer
Brands should abandon social networks if they are unable to build communities of a million consumers, according to Philip Gladman, Diageo's western Europe white spirits marketing director.
Smirnoff: Diageo vodka brand
Speaking at yesterday's ISBA annual conference, Gladman told the audience that "size matters".
"It takes communities of one million to even start paying back on a social platform," he claimed during an afternoon session titled 'Changing the Game'.
"Unless you are going to get a million, don't bother... There's no point having a little Facebook community bubbling along," he said.
"Stick it in TV", is what brands in this predicament should do with their marketing spend, he added.
"Build and they will come", the famous quote from the Kevin Costner baseball film ‘Field of Dreams’, was "rubbish" when applied to social media, argued Gladman.
He also argued that brands would not get to a million fans without spending money on it, claiming that Procter & Gamble had spent $14m on making the Old Spice "The man your man could smell like" ad a viral success.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London