Carlsberg unveils low-alcohol citrus lager
Carlsberg UK is to launch Carlsberg Citrus, a 2.8% ABV, flavoured lager, backed by a multimillion-pound marketing campaign.
Carlsberg Citrus: will be backed by a TV campaign in May
Carlsberg said the move marks the first brand extension for Carlsberg, "in a number of years". This is not the first time the lager brand has been brewed with citrus flavours; in 2006 it launched Carlsberg Edge, a lemon and lime 4.6% ABV lager, but this was pulled some years ago.
The new brand extension, which is "blended with natural Persian and Key limes", will be available in the on- and off-trade. The beer has been developed by Carlsberg UK’s innovation team and through independent consumer taste tests. According to Carlsberg, 70% of consumers polled preferred the beer to competitor brands.
David Scott, director of marketing for Carlsberg UK, described the variant as a "significant launch" and pointed to the fact that the lower strength beer category was growing 50% year on year.
He said: "We have responded to consumer trends and developed a lager which consumers really do find refreshing and appealing."
It will be backed by TV and print ads in May, as well as a sampling and PR campaign.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Mid-Senior Print Designer | Contract | London Salt £200 - £300 per day, City of London
- Retail Marketing - Account Executive Barclay Meade £24000 - £27000 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Marketing Manager Barclay Meade £45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits, Reading
- Senior Product Manager Barclay Meade negotiable, Oxfordshire
- Data Planning Manager Barclay Meade £35000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Senior Copywriter - Tone of Voice, Ethical Brand ADLIB £30k-35k, Bristol