Carlsberg unveils low-alcohol citrus lager
Carlsberg UK is to launch Carlsberg Citrus, a 2.8% ABV, flavoured lager, backed by a multimillion-pound marketing campaign.
Carlsberg Citrus: will be backed by a TV campaign in May
Carlsberg said the move marks the first brand extension for Carlsberg, "in a number of years". This is not the first time the lager brand has been brewed with citrus flavours; in 2006 it launched Carlsberg Edge, a lemon and lime 4.6% ABV lager, but this was pulled some years ago.
The new brand extension, which is "blended with natural Persian and Key limes", will be available in the on- and off-trade. The beer has been developed by Carlsberg UK’s innovation team and through independent consumer taste tests. According to Carlsberg, 70% of consumers polled preferred the beer to competitor brands.
David Scott, director of marketing for Carlsberg UK, described the variant as a "significant launch" and pointed to the fact that the lower strength beer category was growing 50% year on year.
He said: "We have responded to consumer trends and developed a lager which consumers really do find refreshing and appealing."
It will be backed by TV and print ads in May, as well as a sampling and PR campaign.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Media - Client Director Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London
- Interim Customer Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London