Carlsberg unveils low-alcohol citrus lager
Carlsberg UK is to launch Carlsberg Citrus, a 2.8% ABV, flavoured lager, backed by a multimillion-pound marketing campaign.
Carlsberg Citrus: will be backed by a TV campaign in May
Carlsberg said the move marks the first brand extension for Carlsberg, "in a number of years". This is not the first time the lager brand has been brewed with citrus flavours; in 2006 it launched Carlsberg Edge, a lemon and lime 4.6% ABV lager, but this was pulled some years ago.
The new brand extension, which is "blended with natural Persian and Key limes", will be available in the on- and off-trade. The beer has been developed by Carlsberg UK’s innovation team and through independent consumer taste tests. According to Carlsberg, 70% of consumers polled preferred the beer to competitor brands.
David Scott, director of marketing for Carlsberg UK, described the variant as a "significant launch" and pointed to the fact that the lower strength beer category was growing 50% year on year.
He said: "We have responded to consumer trends and developed a lager which consumers really do find refreshing and appealing."
It will be backed by TV and print ads in May, as well as a sampling and PR campaign.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Paid Social Manager Lipton Fleming £32000 - £42000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- Events Marketing Manager Stopgap £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Agency Account Manager/Director (Outdoor) Lipton Fleming £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum + 25% bonus, London
- Head of Brand Marketing Stopgap £60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits, Surrey
- Senior Mobile Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £47500 - £50000 per annum + +£30k OTE, London