Carlsberg unveils low-alcohol citrus lager
Carlsberg UK is to launch Carlsberg Citrus, a 2.8% ABV, flavoured lager, backed by a multimillion-pound marketing campaign.
Carlsberg Citrus: will be backed by a TV campaign in May
Carlsberg said the move marks the first brand extension for Carlsberg, "in a number of years". This is not the first time the lager brand has been brewed with citrus flavours; in 2006 it launched Carlsberg Edge, a lemon and lime 4.6% ABV lager, but this was pulled some years ago.
The new brand extension, which is "blended with natural Persian and Key limes", will be available in the on- and off-trade. The beer has been developed by Carlsberg UK’s innovation team and through independent consumer taste tests. According to Carlsberg, 70% of consumers polled preferred the beer to competitor brands.
David Scott, director of marketing for Carlsberg UK, described the variant as a "significant launch" and pointed to the fact that the lower strength beer category was growing 50% year on year.
He said: "We have responded to consumer trends and developed a lager which consumers really do find refreshing and appealing."
It will be backed by TV and print ads in May, as well as a sampling and PR campaign.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Data Journalist PRISM Highly Competitive, London
- Head of New Media Department for Work and Pensions Salary £60,030 to £72,880., Westminster
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 per annum, London (Greater)
- Shopper Insights Manager PepsiCo negotiable, Theale
- CMI Director Ball & Hoolahan £95,000 + Car/Car Allowance , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire