Starbucks to reward customers for drinking from reusable cup
Starbucks is to begin offering discounts to customers who use an environmentally-friendly reusable cup, in its latest effort to improve its reputation in the wake of its UK tax controversy.
Starbucks: introduces reusable cup
The coffee chain is introducing a reusable cup, which, when used by customers, will entitle them to discounts on drinks. The scheme will be supported by digital and in-store marketing.
It comes as Starbucks looks to improve its corporate reputation, after taking a hit over the tax avoidance issue.
Other initiatives to help mend its reputation include a charitable initiative called Suspended Coffee.
The Starbucks reusable cup, made of a material lighter than Starbucks ceramic tumblers, costs £1. Customers who use the cup will receive a 25p-off discount.
Starbucks already sells a reusable cup, but the initiative marks the first time that it has used it for promotional purposes.
Starbucks is marketing the initiative via its UK website and in-store.
As part of the project, Starbucks will donate an additional 25p to the charity Project Waterfall each time a customer uses their reusable cup during Coffee Week, which runs from April 22 to April 28.
Project Waterfall is a charitable initiative which aims to deliver clean water projects in coffee-producing African countries.
Ian Cranna, vice-president of UK marketing for Starbucks, said: "Between 2008 and 2012, the number of people using a Starbucks reusable tumbler increased by 235% and out new reusable cup is a low-cost, high-impact way to help make a difference on reducing waste."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Data Planner Direct Recruitment £40,000 +, West London
- Broadcast Planning/Buying Account Manager Lipton Fleming £35000.00 per annum + benefits, London
- Digital, Web & Marketing Analyst Lipton Fleming £40000.00 per annum, London