Election coverage watched by almost ten million
LONDON - Election coverage drew in a total of 9.6 million viewers across BBC One, ITV1, Sky News and Channel 4 between 10pm and 12am last night, according to unofficial overnight figures.
Big Ben: BBC election projection
BBC One's footage of the first election results drew the largest number of viewers, with an average of 5.3 million watched the election night show on BBC One or BBC HD between 10pm and 12am, a 28.7% share of the audience.
An average of 2.9 million viewers watched either BBC One or BBC HD between midnight and 2am, a 37.1% share of the available audience. The ratings for the overnight footage across all TV channels will be recorded in today's overnights.
Channel 4's election show, 'Channel 4's Alternative Election', had an average of 1.7 million viewers between 9pm and 1am, a 9.9% share of the TV watching audience. Between 10pm and 12am Channel 4 had an average of 1.9 million viewers.
The Channel 4 show was a satirical take on the results as they came in and had the highest proportion of 16-34s of any of the main terrestrial channels. It beat both ITV1 and Sky News in audience size between 10pm and midnight.
Between 10pm and 12am an average of 1.7 million viewers watched ITV1's show 'Election 2010' and an average of 762,500 viewers watched ITV1 between 12am and 2am.
Sky News's election coverage show ‘'ecision Time: The Result' had an average of 550,000 viewers between 9pm and 1am. Between 10pm and 12am Sky News had an average 400,350 viewers and 274,600 watched Sky News between 12am and 2am.
A number of media owners staged experiential stunts to mark the General Election. The BBC projected graphics onto Big Ben as part of its coverage and Sky broadcast onto Battersea power station.
Trinity Mirror's national paper the Daily Mirror projected an image of the Mirror Chicken on the Houses of Parliament and Channel 4 used a 425,000 square foot helicopter banner from Embrace Media to promote its Alternative Election to people in London.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London