Cheryl Cole's L'Oreal ad escapes ASA ban
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has dismissed 40 complaints against a L'Oreal campaign starring Cheryl Cole.
Cheryl Cole: L'Oreal ad escapes ASA ban
The TV, print and outdoor campaign, promoting L'Oreal Elvive Full Restore, featured the Girls Aloud singer stating that after using the product her hair felt "stronger, full of life, replenished, with a healthy shine".
However, the campaign was criticised due to the fact that Cole is wearing hair extensions, which is mentioned in small print in the ad with the line "Styled with some natural hair extensions."
Forty viewers complained that the campaign misleadingly exaggerated the benefits of its product, and also because some believed the products were not suitable for use with hair extensions.
L'Oreal argued that the ads did not promise that consumers would look "exactly like Cheryl Cole", and that viewers understand the effects vary according to hair type and styling.
The ASA agreed that consumers would understand the message of the ads to be that they can achieve "some positive and achievable effect" to their hair, and not exactly like Cole's, which had been "professionally styled", and so deemed the campaign unlikely to mislead.
It also dismissed complaints about the products' suitability for use with hair extensions, as it judged that consumers would interpret the line as referring to the model's hairstyle.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...