Ken and Chelsea council hires Tory broadcast chief
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea has appointed the
Conservative Party's head of broadcasting as its director of
Penny Mordaunt will head a team of six and report directly to chief
executive Derek Myers at the council, which covers the constituency of
Tory leadership contender Michael Portillo.
Mordaunt, who joins next week, will be the council's first permanent
The role was created earlier this year as a response to an increase in
media activity at the council, which launched its website in
Andrew Hillier, formerly head of PR at Westminster Council, who left to
take up consultancy work, has been acting director in the interim.
The council this week persuaded London mayor Ken Livingstone not to
re-route the borough's Notting Hill Carnival, which saw two murders last
At Conservative Central Office (CCO), Mordaunt reported to Andrew
Scadding, deputy head of media.
As head of broadcasting she was seconded to aid George W Bush's campaign
last year as part of an exchange of PROs between the Tories and
In return, Cherylyn Harley, deputy press secretary to the Republican
National Committee, spent a fortnight at CCO immediately before the
- Alex Challoner, Golin/ Harris Ludgate client services director, has
joined Portillo's leadership campaign team. The former campaign aide to
Tory mayoral candidate's Steve Norris is still at GHL but is
volunteering to assist Portillo in his spare time.
This article was first published on PR Week UK
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London