Philip Morris completes its rebranding to Altria Group
NEW YORK: Philip Morris' long-awaited rebranding as Altria was finally executed last week. The change was made to emphasize the fact that the company produces a wide range of products other than tobacco.
Altria is derived from the Latin word for "high." The company said it chose the name to highlight its strong performance.
Altria is now the parent firm of Philip Morris USA, Philip Morris International, and Kraft Foods. Altria holds about an 84% stake in Kraft, which markets such products as Oreo cookies and Oscar Meyer packaged deli meats. The company also holds a minority stake in SABMiller, the world's second largest brewer, which owns Miller Beer.
Altria said it has been hard at work developing a comprehensive communications strategy for the name change. The campaign involved a blend of all the major marketing disciplines, including PR. The company worked closely with agency of record Burson-Marsteller during the name change.
"Now that we have finally launched, we are going to work to communicate the identity of Altria Group as the parent company of these other brands," said Davis Tovar, a spokesman for the company. "And so our earned media should be about getting people to understand that structure."
The holding company said that because it will have limited interaction with consumers, its target audience is primarily the financial community and opinion leaders.
"This was not as consumer-focused an effort as it might have been for some of our operating units, such as Kraft."
The company also said that in the next few weeks, it expects to get media appearances for the CEO, who will talk about the name change.
This article was first published on PR Week USA
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...