Watch Crispin Porter's Ikea Film Grand Prix winner
CANNES - You might think you've seen it all before, inanimate objects with hurt feelings, but watch the ad and make up your own mind about Crispin Porter & Bogusky's Film Grand Prix Winner for Ikea.
The spot may have been directed by 'Being John Malkovich' and 'Adapation' director Spike Jonze, but it all looks very familar -- from this side of the Atlantic at least.
It isn't just the lonely inanimate object cast out into the street with the melancholic soundtrack that reminds us of Carphone Warehouse, but it's that slightly hackneyed Scandinavian-sounding voice that is reminiscent of Grolsch (OK, we know that Grolsch is from Holland and, therefore, not in Scandinavia, but in style it's close).
Having said that, the humorous to-camera ending -- "You're crazy. It has no feelings. And the new one is much better" -- definitely raises a laugh.
Nonetheless, the jury at Cannes have seen fit to name Crispin Porter "lamp" spot for Ikea as the best filmed ad of the year.
Watch for yourself to decide. Created by Crispin Porter & Bogusky, directed by Spike Jonze through MJZ.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Data Journalist PRISM Highly Competitive, London
- Head of New Media Department for Work and Pensions Salary £60,030 to £72,880., Westminster
- Shopper Insights Manager PepsiCo negotiable, Theale
- CMI Director Ball & Hoolahan £95,000 + Car/Car Allowance , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)