Lib Dem’s Clegg to take GPlus job
BRUSSELS: Liberal Democrat MEP and Guardian Unlimited Politics columnist Nick Clegg is stepping down at the next European election to take on a role at EU consultancy GPlus. Clegg is to join GPlus as a partner with equity rights after the European Parliament election in June.
Clegg’s responsibilities will be part-time, but he will be involved with GPlus’s UK clients which include insurer Aviva, Royal Bank of Scotland and Asda.
He will report to GPlus directors Nigel Gardner and Peter Guilford. Clegg’s appointment brings GPlus’s team to 21.
Clegg started his career as a journalist at The Nation before joining government relations firm GJW (now known as Weber Shandwick GJW).
Between 1994 and 1996 he worked as an official in the external relations department of the European Commission before spending three years as senior policy adviser to then vice-president of the Commission, Sir Leon Brittan.
Clegg was elected MEP for the East Midlands in 1999 and has acted as the Liberal Democrat’s trade and industry spokesman.
l Elsewhere in Brussels, Weber Shandwick has appointed Josep Catllà as
managing director of the bureau. He was formerly managing director of the PR agency’s bureau in Barcelona.
This article was first published on PR Week UK
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Copywriter Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, City of London
- Creative Artworker - Reigate ASG £25,000 - £28,000, Reigate
- Senior PR Account Executive / Junior Account Manager AF Selection £20,000 - £23,000, Lincolnshire