Lib Dem’s Clegg to take GPlus job
BRUSSELS: Liberal Democrat MEP and Guardian Unlimited Politics columnist Nick Clegg is stepping down at the next European election to take on a role at EU consultancy GPlus. Clegg is to join GPlus as a partner with equity rights after the European Parliament election in June.
Clegg’s responsibilities will be part-time, but he will be involved with GPlus’s UK clients which include insurer Aviva, Royal Bank of Scotland and Asda.
He will report to GPlus directors Nigel Gardner and Peter Guilford. Clegg’s appointment brings GPlus’s team to 21.
Clegg started his career as a journalist at The Nation before joining government relations firm GJW (now known as Weber Shandwick GJW).
Between 1994 and 1996 he worked as an official in the external relations department of the European Commission before spending three years as senior policy adviser to then vice-president of the Commission, Sir Leon Brittan.
Clegg was elected MEP for the East Midlands in 1999 and has acted as the Liberal Democrat’s trade and industry spokesman.
l Elsewhere in Brussels, Weber Shandwick has appointed Josep Catllà as
managing director of the bureau. He was formerly managing director of the PR agency’s bureau in Barcelona.
This article was first published on PR Week UK
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- New Business Development Manager - Creative Agency - £15k to £20k OTE £30k to £35k Stonor £15k to£20k with OTE £30k - £35k, Northants