Poster ad uses Another Boxing Day line to fight violence
LONDON - A poster campaign encouraging women to report domestic violence, using the strapline 'Another Boxing Day', is to appear in hairdressing salons and doctors' surgeries across the country in the run-up to Christmas.
The campaign is a joint effort by Women's Aid and Refuge, which run a 24-hour domestic violence helpline, along with the support of the Police Federation, the NSPCC and the Tories.
The poster shows a woman in her home, cowering in fear as a man raises his fist to her, with more than 10,000 copies being printed.
It comes after figures were released, showing that assaults on women double over Christmas and that more than 100,000 children will see their mothers being beaten over the holiday, but that fewer women will report the attacks.
Sandra Horley, chief executive of Refuge, said: "At Christmas, these women are forced to put a brave face on a terrifying situation. And if children are involved, the last thing a mum wants is to uproot them at this time of year."
An earlier ad for Refuge, created by McCann Erickson, encouraged people not to turn a blind eye to domestic violence. It showed diners in a restaurant calmly continuing to eat their dinners as a man accuses his wife of flirting with a waiter in a crowded restaurant, and then starts hitting her.
Refuge opened the world's first women's refuge in 1971 in Chiswick, London and now supports more than 80,000 women and children each year. It runs 500 refuges around the country and runs the National Domestic Violence Helpline in conjunction with Women's Aid.
The charity has recruited extra volunteers to staff the helpline over the Christmas period.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London