Polo Ralph Lauren loses trademark battle with US Polo Association
LONDON – Polo Ralph Lauren has lost a legal case in the US in which it sought to stop a rival clothing company and the US Polo Association using four logos it said were similar to its own trademark polo horseman.
The civil jury at the US district court in Manhattan ruled that three out of the four logos did not infringe on Polo Ralph Lauren's trademark and one did.
The US Polo Association and clothing company Jordache said that the decision was a "knockout victory" and they would launch an advertising and marketing campaign for their range.
David Cummings, president of USPA Properties, said: "Since 1984, the US Polo Association has been trying to co-exist with Polo Ralph Lauren, but it appears they wanted nothing more than a monopoly on the sport. That has ended today with this ruling."
Polo Ralph Lauren lawyer Leslie Gordon Fagan claimed that the USPA and Jordanche had sold $32m in merchandise since 2000 by infringing Polo Ralph Lauren's trademark.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)