Clooney promotes Nespresso in tongue-in-cheek TV ad
LONDON - Oscar-winner George Clooney stars in a TV ad for coffee brand Nespresso, in which the actor believes two attractive women are talking about his 'dark intense body' when in fact they are talking about the coffee.
Created by McCann Erickson Paris, "the boutique" spot was directed by Academy Award winner Michel Gondry, who won the Best Original Screenplay Oscar for 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'.
The ad follows Clooney as he walks into a Nespresso shop and starts to pour himself a coffee. Two women are sitting at a nearby table talking about something that is "unique, mysterious", "delicate and smooth", with a "strong character", "very rich" and "deep and sensual".
The 'Syriana' and 'Good Night and Good Luck' star listens on, nodding his head in agreement and pride at the comments he believes are about himself. But when the ladies mention "delicious aftertaste", Clooney goes up to them and asks "you're talking about Nespresso, right?". The women say "yes" and he walks off replying "yeah, what else?".
Brema Drohan, managing director of Nespresso UK, said: "The brand represents a number of qualities including sophistication, style and charm, and George Clooney embodies all of these qualities."
Clooney, who is a regular in the Martini ads, as well as featuring in Fiat and Toyota campaigns, was involved in a slanging match earlier this year with 'Gladiator' actor Russell Crowe over commercial endorsements. The Australian had criticised the likes of Clooney and others for the products they endorsed.
The ad breaks in the UK on November 27 and can also be viewed online from that date at www.nespresso.co.uk
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Senior Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)