Manchester Evening News debuts online obituaries service
LONDON - Manchester Evening News has agreed a partnership with Legacy.com, the US-based online obituary website, to create a new obituaries and family notice service.
The Guardian Media Group-owned title said the service would enable grieving friends and relatives to post images, tributes and comments on a specially created website, and would also contain an online condolence book.
Legacy.com, a US-based obituary service, claims to have more than 50% of deaths in the country posted on its website, and has deals with more than 350 newspapers across Canada, the UK and the US, including The New York Times, Washington Post and Chicago Tribune.
Manchester Evening News and its parent company MEN Media said it already publishes more than 47,000 family notices and 39,000 obituaries in its 20 daily and weekly paid-for editions, which have an 85% reach of the Greater Manchester area.
Paul O'Halloran, digital sales director at MEN Media Sales, said: "To enhance our newspaper online brands, we wanted to provide people with a full interactive family notice service.
"We have partnered with Legacy.com to enable people throughout the world to access information on a loved one and add their own personal message of condolence."
Legacy.com, which claims to have more than 7m users every month, first launched in the US and has since expanded to the UK and Canada.
Paul Roche, European vice-president of Legacy.com, said: "This service has proved immensely popular in the US and Canada and we are sure people in the UK will find the service invaluable."
The Manchester Evening News has a Monday-Saturday circulation of 114,676.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London