Manchester Evening News debuts online obituaries service
LONDON - Manchester Evening News has agreed a partnership with Legacy.com, the US-based online obituary website, to create a new obituaries and family notice service.
The Guardian Media Group-owned title said the service would enable grieving friends and relatives to post images, tributes and comments on a specially created website, and would also contain an online condolence book.
Legacy.com, a US-based obituary service, claims to have more than 50% of deaths in the country posted on its website, and has deals with more than 350 newspapers across Canada, the UK and the US, including The New York Times, Washington Post and Chicago Tribune.
Manchester Evening News and its parent company MEN Media said it already publishes more than 47,000 family notices and 39,000 obituaries in its 20 daily and weekly paid-for editions, which have an 85% reach of the Greater Manchester area.
Paul O'Halloran, digital sales director at MEN Media Sales, said: "To enhance our newspaper online brands, we wanted to provide people with a full interactive family notice service.
"We have partnered with Legacy.com to enable people throughout the world to access information on a loved one and add their own personal message of condolence."
Legacy.com, which claims to have more than 7m users every month, first launched in the US and has since expanded to the UK and Canada.
Paul Roche, European vice-president of Legacy.com, said: "This service has proved immensely popular in the US and Canada and we are sure people in the UK will find the service invaluable."
The Manchester Evening News has a Monday-Saturday circulation of 114,676.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Shopper Insights Manager PepsiCo negotiable, Theale
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Data Journalist PRISM Highly Competitive, London
- CMI Director Ball & Hoolahan £95,000 + Car/Car Allowance , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, West Midlands