Nintendo hunts agency as Leo Burnett cuts ties
LONDON - Nintendo is seeking an agency to handle its UK advertising business after Leo Burnett resigned the account.
Leo Burnett oversaw the advertising for the launch of Nintendo's Wii console, and has held the business for seven years. However, insiders claim that the agency decided to part company with the brand after increased interference from the gaming firm's head office in Japan.
Weeks before the Wii launch, it insisted that ads for the console were reshot to 'look more like ads', rather than the documentary-style spots Leo Burnett had created (Marketing, 22 November 2006). Leo Burnett had subsequently been unhappy with the lack of creative authority it had on the account.
Nintendo increased its media spend from £5m to about £13m last year to accommodate the launch of Wii. The new console, which targets gamers of every age, launched in the UK just before Christmas last year. More than 5m Wii consoles have now been sold globally.
Nintendo's promotional activity is overseen by UK marketing director Dawn Paine, who said the split was due to a 'change in business requirements'.
Nintendo reappointed Leo Burnett last July after a pitch against Grey and United. At the time, it moved its media from Starcom to Mediaedge:cia.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Senior Sales Manager - Leading Ad Tech Business Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + 100% COMMISSION , London