LinkedIn brings in Bite to safeguard its niche
Business networking site LinkedIn has asked Bite to boost its UK profile as Facebook threatens its dominance in professional circles.
Hargreaves: Bite MD
Tech specialist Bite won a seven-way pitch against agencies including Lewis and Chameleon.
The US-based site’s international director Liz O’Donnell did not deny that competition from Facebook was a motivating factor for Bite’s appointment. ‘We didn’t have any PR in the UK before,’ she said. ‘Some of it had to do with competition, and some was just raising our brand’s profile.’
O’Donnell was in London this week, meeting with Bite MD David Hargreaves and planning director Nick Rappolt to decide on a direction for the new campaign.
LinkedIn’s decision to hire PR support follows MySpace’s recent appointment of Lexis as its retained agency (PRWeek, 24 August). Lexis consumer director Matt Buchanan, who leads the MySpace account, welcomed the challenge from Facebook.
‘I think MySpace is aware of Facebook’s London presence, and looks forward to the competition,’ he said.
MySpace attracts more website hits than Facebook or LinkedIn, but this may soon change. In July, Facebook overtook MySpace in the number of web searches of its name, according to internet analyst Hitwise.
This article was first published on PR Week UK
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Category Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Sputh East
- Regional Assistant Brand Manager- Europe Ball & Hoolahan £25,000 per annum, South East