LinkedIn brings in Bite to safeguard its niche
Business networking site LinkedIn has asked Bite to boost its UK profile as Facebook threatens its dominance in professional circles.
Hargreaves: Bite MD
Tech specialist Bite won a seven-way pitch against agencies including Lewis and Chameleon.
The US-based site’s international director Liz O’Donnell did not deny that competition from Facebook was a motivating factor for Bite’s appointment. ‘We didn’t have any PR in the UK before,’ she said. ‘Some of it had to do with competition, and some was just raising our brand’s profile.’
O’Donnell was in London this week, meeting with Bite MD David Hargreaves and planning director Nick Rappolt to decide on a direction for the new campaign.
LinkedIn’s decision to hire PR support follows MySpace’s recent appointment of Lexis as its retained agency (PRWeek, 24 August). Lexis consumer director Matt Buchanan, who leads the MySpace account, welcomed the challenge from Facebook.
‘I think MySpace is aware of Facebook’s London presence, and looks forward to the competition,’ he said.
MySpace attracts more website hits than Facebook or LinkedIn, but this may soon change. In July, Facebook overtook MySpace in the number of web searches of its name, according to internet analyst Hitwise.
This article was first published on PR Week UK
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...