Cruise website smashes record for most expensive UK domain name
LONDON - Cruise community website Cruise.co.uk has bought the domain name Cruises.co.uk for £560,000 from German travel company Nees Reisen, setting the British record for the highest price paid for a domain name.
The purchase by Cruise.co.uk of the plural version of its website shatters the previous record for a ".co.uk" domain name, which was set in October 2007 when venture capital firm ASAP Ventures acquired the domain Recycle.co.uk for £150,000.
Cruises.co.uk will be used to create a cruise community with user-generated content.
The company is aiming to more than double the level of user-generated content by increasing online customer reviews, comments and information.
Cruise.co.uk launched a campaign earlier this month, which involved it buying 10,000 copies of the £16.99 Berlitz Cruise Guide to give away free to anyone posting a cruise review on its website.
Seamus Conlon, managing director of Cruise.co.uk, said: "'Cruises' is consistently ranked first on Google with 'cruise' just behind. We wanted the top positions so that when internet users are searching for cruise deals, reviews or news we are the first port of call."
Cruise.co.uk was formerly owned by Carnival Corporation, which owns P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises and Cunard Cruise Line, and was sold last year to its management team.
Top five highest prices for .co.uk domain names:
1. Cruises.co.uk, £560,000 -- purchased January 2008
2. Recycle.co.uk, £150,000 -- purchased October 2007
3. Ink.co.uk, £130,425 -- purchased in 2007
4. Mobile.co.uk, £120,000 -- purchased in 2007
5. Taste.co.uk, £110,000 -- purchased in 1997
World's most expensive domain names (USD):
1. Sex.com, $12m -- purchased in 2005
2. Porn.com, $9.5m -- purchased in 2007
3. Business.com, $7.5m -- purchased in 1999
4. Diamond.com, $7.5m -- purchased in 2006
5. Beer.com, $7m -- purchased in 1999
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Account Manager Purple Consultancy £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager Purple Consultancy £32000 - £36000 per annum, London
- Midweight Designers - branding and packaging Gabriele Skelton £25000 - £35000 per annum, London