Facebook loses out to BeatThatQuote.com as fastest growing website
LONDON - Despite capturing the imagination of the media and public, Facebook has been beaten to the honour of being named the fastest growing website in 2007, by BeatThatQuote.com.
The financial services search and save website increased its UK audience by 1,165% to 392,000 users last year, according to Nielsen Online.
Social networking website Facebook grew its UK audience by more than 781%, taking its total users up to 8.9m last year, from 1.1m in 2006.
Alex Burmaster, Internet Analyst at Nielsen Online, said: "Many will be surprised to see that Facebook wasn't the fastest growing site of the year, this honour went to price comparison site BeatThatQuote -- a reminder that the internet provides valuable services other than virtually poking friends and acquaintances."
Google Search was the most popular UK website by a considerable distance, with an average monthly UK audience of 25.1m users.
Microsoft's MSN portal and Windows Live Messenger services came second, with 14.7m users. Ebay took third place with 14.5m users.
In terms of site activity, MSN and Windows Live Messenger came out on top, with UK users spending an average total of 2.8bn minutes a month on the websites.
Ebay was the second most engaging website, with UK users spending 1.7bn minutes a month on the site. Google Search polled third with 0.8bn minutes.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...