Microsoft's Yahoo pursuit a mistake, claims AOL's Falco
LONDON - AOL chief executive Randy Falco has labelled Microsoft's potential takeover of internet rival Yahoo a mistake.
Speaking at the US Interactive Advertising Bureau's annual meeting, Falco claimed AOL could benefit from the fallout of a potential Microsoft and Yahoo deal, as its two biggest rivals turn their attention to challenging Google at search marketing.
Falco said: "I hope they (Microsoft and Yahoo) beat each other's brains out over search and leave the display advertising market to us. I think it's a mistake, but I think Napoleon said, 'never interrupt your enemy when they're in the middle of making a mistake'."
Since Falco joined AOL in November 2006, from his position of president and chief operating office at US TV network NBC, he has overseen continual investment in improving AOL's display ad offering.
AOL has bought behavioural targeting firm Tacoda, mobile ad network Third Screen Media, German ad network AdTech and targeting firm Quigo under Falco's tenure. This month it added to its advertising armoury by purchasing affiliate network Buy.at.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)