WCRS ad for TfL faces copyright claim
LONDON - WCRS is under fire for a new ad which bears a remarkable similarity to a video produced by US academics in 1999.
Academic ad...produced in 1999
The ad, Do the Test, was produced by the agency for Transport for London to highlight how easy it is for drivers to miss the presence of cyclists on the road.
But earlier today, the clip was removed from YouTube "due to a copyright claim from a third party".
The WCRS ad asks the viewer to count the number of passes made by a basketball team during a passage of play.
It then reveals that while the viewer was concentrating on counting the passes, they missed the presence of a person in a bear suit, moonwalking through the crowd.
However, a video which is virtually identical was copyrighted by US professor Daniel J Simons in 1999.
Simons, who works at the University of Illinois Visual Cognition Lab, produced the video to demonstrate a spatial awareness theory.
A user who saw the clip on Campaign's website contacted us and said: "The ad is absolutely identical except they have turned a gorilla into a bear."
Click here to view the WCRS ad
Click here to view the University of Illinois video
This article was first published on Campaign
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Senior Account Director or Group Account Director, Social / Digital, £60k - £70k, Old Street Agency MODA consult up to £70k + excellent benefits, Central London, Old Street
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...