Daily Mail coverage prompts Poles to make PCC complaint
LONDON - The Federation of Poles in Great Britain has contacted the Press Complaints Commission to complain about coverage in the Daily Mail regarding the Polish community in the UK.
The federation is concerned that the stories will lead to tensions and negative emotions. It has sent a letter to the PCC, having looked more than 80 articles published between May 2006 and February 2008.
It has said it has contacted the PCC "reluctantly" after having complained to the Daily Mail. The newspaper has strenuously denied that it is anti-Polish.
The Press Complaints Commission will not be able to launch an investigation into the matter unless it receives complaints about a specific story and how it is in breach of the code.
Recent headlines in the newspaper regarding Poles in Britain include "The Polish baby boom: Fears for NHS and schools as 1,000 Polish children are born EVERY month" and "The British workers denied jobs 'because they can't speak Polish'".
It has also run a three-part series called "The new Britons" investigating the argument that Polish workers make a significant contribution to the UK economy, versus the argument that they are depriving UK workers of jobs.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)