Former Saatchis creative chief Paul Arden dies
LONDON - Paul Arden, the former Saatchi & Saatchi creative chief behind some of Britain's most memorable ad campaigns, has died aged 67.
Paul Arden...former Saatchi & Saatchi creative chief
He had been ill for some time and suffered a fatal heart attack at his home in Petworth, Sussex, yesterday.
Arden spent 14 years as executive creative director at the Charlotte Street agency where he inspired memorable work for British Airways, Anchor Butter and InterCity.
His famous slogans included "The car in front is a Toyota" and "The Independent - It Is. Are You?"
In 1983 he introduced the famous Silk Cut concept in which no copyline was used, only a still-life photographic image in the brand's signature purple.
In 1993 he set up the film production company Arden Sutherland Dodd.
His first book, "It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be", a quirky combination of wit and wisdom, sold more than half a million copies.
Bill Muirhead, the former Saatchi & Saatchi chairman and a founding partner of M&C Saatchi, said: "Paul was a giant in terms of his contribution to the agency. He work was always fresh, deceptively simple and strikingly graphic."
Do you remember Paul Arden, or did you work with him? What influence did his work have on the UK ad scene?
Leave your tributes below.
Arden pictured at his desk at Saatchi & Saatchi in 1988
This article was first published on Campaign
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...