BBC axes 'guilt' TV show over exploitation fears
LONDON - A BBC reality TV show which brought fashion victims face-to-face with the labourers who catered for their expensive tastes has been axed, amid fears that the participants were not fully aware of what the programme involved.
'Guilt Trip', which was due to be broadcast on BBC Two later this year, encouraged members of the public to give up jewellery and designer clothes after they were sent abroad to see the ecological and human cost of their habits.
The programme, fronted by environment activist Lucy Siegle, challenged "pampered people" to "make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the planet", according to RDF, which had been hired to distribute the show overseas.
It describes 'Guilt Trip' on its website as "entertaining television that tackles real issues".
'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?' producer Celador said it had not completed filming when the four-part series was dropped.
A Celador spokeswoman said the decision not to complete the series was a mutual one between the production company and the BBC: "The view was taken that some people might not have fully understood what the programme was about.
"It didn't meet our standards or the BBC's standards."
According to The Sun, programme makers feared the show would be accused of "exploiting people for entertainment".
An insider claimed the participants were told the show would focus on consumerism, but were not made aware of the "guilt" element.
In one edition of the show, three jewellery lovers were sent to an African goldmine. Another group of participants were shown the conditions inside an Indian sweatshop.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- PR Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits, London