Unilever considers sale of Bertolli olive oil business
LONDON - Unilever is preparing to sell its Bertolli olive oil business after posting a 34% increase in pre-tax profits following the success of similar disposals.
In a first-quarter update, he company said pre-tax profits had climbed to €1.78bn (£1.4bn) in the quarter, fuelled by a 7.2% increase in sales and a €517m gain from the sale of French cheese brand Boursin and the extension of its Lipton tea joint-venture with Pepsi.
The group said it was looking at the "best way to extract the best value" out of the world's market-leading olive oil brand.
Unilever would look to retain rights to Bertolli with any sale, as the company also sells a range of pasta sauces and snacks under the brand name.
The Bertolli business, which has annual sales of about €300m, was started by an Italian husband-and-wife team, Francesco and Caterina Bertolli, from a small shop beneath their home in the small Tuscan town of Lucca in 1865.
In the 1890s, the Bertolli's five sons, Giuseppe, Gioele, Giulio, Daniele and Elia, travelled abroad to the US, Australia, Brazil, Argentina and Africa, and started to spread the Bertolli name internationally.
The brand's possible departure from the Unilever stable comes two weeks after Brand Republic revealed Bartle Bogle Hegarty had resigned the £30m Bertolli European advertising account by mutual agreement following a seven-year relationship.
Bertolli is in the middle of a search for a new ad agency to handle the European account, which covers the UK, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.
The new agency will be required to create local adaptations of work produced by McCann Erickson New York, which has been working with the Bertolli brand since 2003.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1