Microsoft's ad division losses double to $1.2bn
LONDON - Microsoft's annual loss in its online advertising division has doubled from $617m to $1.23bn (£602m), according to the company's full-year results yesterday.
The online services division also made a loss of $488m in the quarter just passed, which was Microsoft's fourth fiscal quarter.
However annual revenues climbed by 32% to $3.21bn.
The division earns most of its revenues from online advertising with the remainder from consumer services such as subscriptions and internet access.
Microsoft's chief financial officer Chris Liddell announced plans to invest an additional $500m in the business, of which most would go into the online services division.
Earlier this year Microsoft made a $47.5bn bid for rival Yahoo! in order to gain a much bigger share of the online advertising market, but has been continually rebuffed by its prey.
In comments following the publication of the results, many analysts blamed the online services division for holding back Microsoft's overall performance.
The company narrowly missed Wall Street's earnings forecast and its share price fell 6% to $25.70.
Overall revenues for 2007/8 were $60.42bn, which was an increase of 18% on the previous year. Post-tax profit was $17.68bn, up 26%.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)