Unilever sells Bertolli olive oil business for £500m
LONDON - Unilever has sold its Bertolli olive oil and vinegar business to Grupo SOS, Spain's second largest food group, for €630m (£500m) as part of its disposal of non-core businesses.
Unilever, the owner of brands including Dove, Persil and Flora, will retain ownership of the Bertolli margarine, pasta sauce and frozen meal brands, while Grupo SOS will take the worldwide licence for oils and vinegars under the Bertolli, Italian Maya, Dante and San Giorgio names.
Last November, Unilever sold off its French cheese brand Boursin to Le Groupe Bel for €400m, as part of the disposal of non-strategic brands with collectively more than €2bn in turnover.
In the same month, it also sold off the US marinades businesses Lawry's and Adolph's to McCormick and Company for €410m.
In a statement, Unilever said that the Bertolli brand remains a priority for the company, with "strong growth plans based on capturing the growing appetite for Mediterranean food products".
Grupo SOS already owns Carbonell, which it claims is the world's biggest olive oil brand.
The combined turnover of Bertolli olive oil and vinegar and the Maya, Dante and San Giorgio businesses was around €380m in 2007.
Vindi Banga, Unilever president for foods, home and personal care, said: "Bertolli is a brand leader in olive oils in Europe, the US and Australia, and we believe that Grupo SOS, with their deep expertise in this category, will further strengthen the business."
Bertolli is currently searching for a new ad agency to handle the European account, which covers the UK, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London