Singer Jackson Browne files copyright suit against Senator John McCain
NEW YORK - US Presidential candidate Senator John McCain is being sued by 'Running On Empty' singer Jackson Browne, for alleged copyright infringement and false endorsement.
Renowned 70s songwriter Browne filed a suit against McCain and the Republican National Committee in a Californian court today. The lawsuit stems from a recent television commercial featuring Browne's 1978 hit 'Running On Empty'.
Browne alleges that the Republican Party failed to obtain a licence for use of the song in the commercial, in which McCain mocks Democratic nominee Barack Obama for suggesting that Americans could conserve petrol through proper tire inflation.
Browne, well known for his political activism and anti-Reaganism during the 1980s, is also suing McCain under the US Lanham Act for suggesting that Browne is associated with and endorses McCain and the Republican Party.
Browne is seeking permanent injunction prohibiting the use of 'Running On Empty' as well as damages.
Browne's lawyer, Lawrence Iser, said: "We are confident that Jackson Browne will prevail in this lawsuit. Not only have Senator McCain and his agents plainly infringed Mr Browne's copyright in 'Running On Empty', but the Federal Courts have long held that the unauthorised use of a famous singer's voice in a commercial constitutes a false endorsement and a violation of the singer's right of publicity.
"In light of Jackson Browne's lifelong commitment to the Democratic ideals and political candidates, the misappropriation of Jackson Browne's endorsement is entirely reprehensible, and I have no doubt that a jury will agree."
You can read all about the US presidential election and watch the latest advertisements in Darren Davidson's blog Electioneering Stateside.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...