Microsoft debuts Seinfeld and Gates ad on US TV
NEW YORK - Microsoft's much anticipated $300m (£170m) ad campaign, featuring comedian Jerry Seinfeld and the software giant's chairman Bill Gates, aired for the first time last night in the US during National Football League coverage.
The 90 second ad, created by Miami's Crispin, Porter + Bogusky, is designed to counter Apple's "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" campaign, which features a geeky PC guy unable to keep up with the "hip Mac user".
The ads were remade for the UK with comedy duo David Mitchell and Robert Webb.
The Microsoft spot shows Seinfeld trying on shoes with Gates in a discount shoe shop and doesn't mention any specific Microsoft products, such as the much criticised Windows Vista operating system.
The immediate reaction to the ad on the web has been fairly negative. A blogger on ZD Net posted: "I don't get it. And seeing how the punchline was, ummm, Bill Gates adjusting his shorts, I don't think I want to get it."
Some YouTube users were left equally baffled by the ad. A user called AnimeZombie91 said: "I don't think I'm fully getting this ..." while x7c went simply with "WTF ?!".
The blog Crunch Gear said: "While the ad doesn't really tell us anything about Microsoft or its products, it does tell us that someday computers will be edible. So there's that. Gates is kinda funny too."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Account Manager - Brand Creation/Identity/Packaging Kate Marsh Recruitment up to £40K, East London/Shoreditch