Newspaper under fire for Twittering a funeral
LONDON - A Denver based newspaper, the Rocky Mountain News, is under fire this morning after one of its reporters used the social networking service Twitter to cover the funeral of a three year old child.
Micro blogging service Twitter, which is steadily growing in popularity, is increasingly used by newspapers, television stations and other media organisation to break news.
Some of the first reports of the recent earthquakes in China came via Twitter, but this is thought to be the first time the service has been used to offer a blow-by-blow coverage of a funeral.
The move has been called "morbid" and one critic told ABCNews.com "there was an element of pillaging a private moment of grief that I'm uncomfortable with".
A Colorado Independent reporter wrote after seeing the paper's report: "Today, Rocky Mountain News reporter Berny Morson took the notion of Twitter to staggeringly low depths."
Neither the reporter in question, Berny Morson, nor Rocky Mountain News have commented, but the Twitter feed is still active with every detail of the funeral available to read.
Morson's Twitter feed reads as follows:
rabbi calls end to ceremony 10:28 AM September 10, 2008 from txt
rabbi chanting final prayer in hebrew 10:27 AM September 10, 2008 from txt
earth being placed on coffin. 10:22 AM September 10, 2008 from txt
rabbi recites the main hebrew prayer of death 10:20 AM September 10, 2008 from txt rabbi zucker praying 10:18 AM September 10, 2008 from txt
coffin lowered into ground 10:18 AM September 10, 2008 from txt
people gathering at graveside 10:14 AM September 10, 2008 from txt
procession begins 10:01 AM September 10, 2008 from txt
cars queuing up to follow hearse 09:59 AM September 10, 2008 from txt
pallbearers carry out coffin followed by mourners. 09:48 AM September 10, 2008 from txt
people again are sobbing. rabbi again asks god to give marten everlasting life.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London