Vernon Kay denies death claim following Wikipedia vandalism
LONDON - Vernon Kay, the TV presenter, has been forced to reassure friends and family he is alive and well after his Wikipedia entry was altered to say that he had died.
A hacker had changed Kay's page to say he'd drowned in a tragic yachting accident in Greece and that his funeral would be this Friday in Bolton.
At present, Wikipedia has suspended new or unregistered users from editing the page due to cyber vandalism. However, the page has been edited to include a reference to the incident.
Kay, who is best known as a TV presenter of shows such as 'Family Fortunes', 'Hit Me Baby One More Time', and 'Boys and Girls', learnt of the alteration after receiving calls from friends and family to check he was okay after reading the entry.
The incident exposes the potential drawbacks of Wikipedia, which allows users to edit and update entries without the author's permission.
Kay's is not the first major UK celebrity to be targeted by Wikipedia vandals, after Chelsea footballer Ashley Cole was famously slurred in the past.
In July, Google launched its own version of Wikipedia called Knol, which does not allow users to change or contribute entries without the author's permission.
In another point of difference from Wikipedia, which boasts 7m collectively edited articles in 200 languages, the new offering does not edit or endorse the information.
Knol readers are also able to notify Google if they find any content objectionable.
At the time of Knol's launch, Cedric DuPont, product manager for Knol, said: "We are deeply convinced that authorship -- knowing who wrote what -- helps readers trust the content."
The name of the service is a play on an individual unit of knowledge, and entries on the public website are called "knols".
The website was first announced at the beginning of December 2007 when Google began limited testing on the site.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...