BT restarts trials of Phorm web-tracking platform
LONDON - BT today restarted trials of its controversial web-tracking ad technology, following backing for the project from the UK Government.
BT...restarting Phorm trial
The Government told the European Commission two weeks ago that it believed the BT Webwise platform, run by Phorm, is legal.
Privacy campaigners have expressed outrage against the technology, which allows ads to be targeted by tracking the websites that users visit.
A statement to London's Stock Exchange by Phorm said: "Following successful completion of this trial and an appropriate period of analysis and planning, it is currently expected that Phorm's platform will be rolled out across BT's network."
A spokesman for BT said: "The trial will work on an 'opt-in' basis only - customers can only take part if they accept the invitation."
The new trial follows a statement from the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform that the service does not breach European data laws.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...