BT restarts trials of Phorm web-tracking platform
LONDON - BT today restarted trials of its controversial web-tracking ad technology, following backing for the project from the UK Government.
BT...restarting Phorm trial
The Government told the European Commission two weeks ago that it believed the BT Webwise platform, run by Phorm, is legal.
Privacy campaigners have expressed outrage against the technology, which allows ads to be targeted by tracking the websites that users visit.
A statement to London's Stock Exchange by Phorm said: "Following successful completion of this trial and an appropriate period of analysis and planning, it is currently expected that Phorm's platform will be rolled out across BT's network."
A spokesman for BT said: "The trial will work on an 'opt-in' basis only - customers can only take part if they accept the invitation."
The new trial follows a statement from the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform that the service does not breach European data laws.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- MID-WEIGHT DIGITAL DESIGNER - LONDON - £30K Salt £30000 per annum, City of London