Sainsbury's Christmas ad marks Ant and Dec's first commercial in seven years
LONDON - Sainsbury's has hired TV presenting duo Ant and Dec to front its Christmas ad campaign alongside its long-time brand ambassador, Jamie Oliver.
The TV ad, created by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, breaks on Wednesday 12 November, the same day as the Marks & Spencer Christmas ad campaign.
The commercial opens with Ant and Dec shopping for their Christmas party and loading their trolley with nothing but pickled onions and pineapple chunks. They accidentally crash trolleys with Jamie Oliver, who offers to help them shop. They head back to Ant and Dec's house where Jamie shows them how to cook some quick, festive snacks.
This will be the first ad the pair has appeared in since 2001, when starred in Woolworth's 'You might forget what you came in for' Christmas campaign alongside Des Lynam.
At this stage, there are no plans for Ant and Dec to work with Sainsbury's beyond this campaign.
A Sainsbury's spokeswoman said: ‘We went for this theme because everyone's feeling the pinch and, more so than ever, really do want a stress-free Christmas full of fun and lightness.'
However she stressed this was not a move away from its value message, but a continuation of its communications strategy over the last year. The Christmas ads will run alongside several 'deals' executions, which together aim to promote a brand image of value, ideas, quality and fun.
Sainsbury's 2007 'Christmas ideas production line' ad also starred Jamie Oliver, who has been the face of the supermarket's advertising since 2000.
Last month Sainsbury's chief executive Justin King said quarterly, like-for-like sales, excluding fuel sales, were up 4.3% and that it was 'stealing very successfully' from its more upmarket rivals.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Paid Search Manager ( PPC ) - Leading Search Specialist Group Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London