Free weekly title TNT Magazine celebrates 25 years
LONDON - TNT Magazine, the free weekly title aimed at Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans living in the UK, is celebrating its 25th anniversary.
The magazine, which is now 150-pages long and has a readership of around 300,000, offers Aussies, Kiwis and Saffas a wealth of information about moving to the UK, including how to find a flat and a job.
It also contains news and sports reviews from down-under, as well as information on top travel destinations and places to visit in London, such as various galleries, pubs and clubs.
TNT, which employs around 50 people, was set up by two young Iraqi brothers, Ali and Ghadir Razuki, who moved to London after fleeing their homeland because of Saddam Hussein's brutal regime.
After settling in with the Antipodean community around the capital, they realised there was a huge demand for news and sport from down-under from their fellow newcomers to London.
Therefore, in 1983, from an office on Earl's Court Road, the Razuki brothers, then aged 18 and 22, set about creating TNT.
Ali said: "I'm not kidding you, we were putting in 20 hours a day in the first few months because obviously we didn't have the money and we generally had to do most of the jobs, which meant putting the magazine together, selling the advertising space and also distributing it."
The brothers sold TNT to Trader Media Group in 2000, which sold it onto Red Reef Media in February of this year.
Tony Goodman, chief operating officer of TNT Magazine, said: "The fact that [TNT Magazine] is written by travellers for travellers is still the primary reason for its success after all these years.
"It's seen as an entertaining, authoritative and trustworthy voice that's sometimes a bit cheeky. Our readers know they don't need to go anywhere else -- TNT has everything you need for your life in London, and also keeps the Antipodean and South African community in touch with home."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- PR Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits, London