Queen's Christmas message cues the start of online sales shopping
LONDON - Thousands of people will use the Queen's speech on Christmas day as the signal to begin their online sales shopping activity, a new survey is predicting.
The research, compiled by Transaction Partnership, suggests that at 3pm on Christmas day, people will begin searching for bargains.
Last year, Christmas day was one of the biggest shopping days, and this year it is predicted that over 5.2m people will go online, according to online retail trade group IMRG -- more than will attend church.
Transaction is advising retailers of the likely spike in traffic at 3pm, so that they can be prepared.
Retailers beginning their sales on Christmas day including Marks & Spencer, Comet, Argos, Halfords and John Lewis.
Richard Blanchard, one of Transaction's founders, said: "More retail sales started on Christmas Day 2007 than ever before and retailers caught out last time won't let it happen again.
"Some sales this year are even starting on Christmas Eve but the majority of people are still putting the final touches to their plans for the following day."
The Queen's speech was watched by a combined audience of around 8m last year, compared with 28m in 1987.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...