Waitrose to investigate staff insulting customers on Facebook
LONDON - Waitrose has launched an investigation into its staff after several employees posted malicious comments about customers on social networking site Facebook, calling them pikeys, ugly, mad and smelly.
The insults appear on a Facebook page called "Waitrose Isn't a Supermarket, It's a State of Mind", which asks staff to list what annoys them most.
Dozens of employees posted comments on the group's wall.
One wrote: "There's a gentleman who comes in every Monday who has probably never showered and stinks of p**s.
"This guy smells so f***ing bad that I could barely open my mouth to breathe or speak to him. People like that shud [sic] be shot!"
Another wrote: "Pikey skanks wait till the last minute, gathered around the reduced-stuff-bin, or the cake shelves etc, to get the cheapest possible stuff."
A Waitrose spokesperson said: "This is completely unacceptable behaviour. It goes against our codes of conduct which make it very clear that partners who post this type of material are in breach of their terms of employment.
"The nature of the internet makes it difficult to get content removed once posted, however we do have teams that monitor website activity and will be conducting an immediate investigation."
The news comes just days after Tesco launched a similar investigation into its staff following the revelation that some employees had posted abusive comments about customers on a Facebook group called "Tesco employees could rule the world".
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...