Tesco to launch online clothing competitor to Asos
LONDON - Tesco is planning to launch a new clothing site with the aim of replicating the success of online fashion stores such as Asos.
The supermarket currently sells it own-brand clothing through its Tesco Direct site, however this is only for a limited number of lines. The new site will only sell own-brand lines such as F&F and Cherokee.
Tesco commercial, director Richard Brasher, has said the new site will be significantly different in look and feel to what it currently uses online.
Brasher said: "Our clothing ranges have been popular in the shops where we sell them - so we've been looking at how we can bring the fashion ranges to more customers."
Competitive prices and size of range has held sites such as Asos in good stead amid the downturn.
In the nine weeks preceding January 16, Asos reported a 118% increase in sales compared to the same period the year before.
Previously known as As Seen on Screen, Asos has used celebrity links to clothing as a key selling tactic with its 1.2m users.
The Tesco site is expected to be ready in time for the launch of the retailer's autumn collection.
By its own standards Tesco has struggled to deal with the downturn and is looking for ways to boost its non-food offering.
This month it reported a like-for-like sales increase of 2.5% for the seven weeks preceding January 10, its lowest increase since the early 90s.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Graphic Designer CitNOW £25,000-£35 000pa, Wokingham, Berkshire
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...