Super Bowl commercial break featured its first-ever DRTV ad
LONDON - Marketing history was made on Sunday during the US Super Bowl, when the Arizona Cardinals took on the Pittsburgh Steelers in one of the world's most watched sports events.
For the first time ever, a direct response TV ad ran in the commercial breaks during the Super Bowl on Sunday, won by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Advertising during the breaks in Super Bowl coverage is normally the preserve of mega-brands such as Coca-Cola.
But on Sunday a 30-second commercial for Cash4Gold, a Florida website where people can sell their gold jewelry for cash, ran during the third quarter of Sunday's Super Bowl.
The ad, featuring talk show host Ed McMahon and rapper MC Hammer, was made by Havas' Euro RSCG Edge was booked in one of the last few slots NBC, this year's Super Bowl broadcaster, had available.
Despite the recession, NBC sold all 69 of last night's Super Bowl spots for a record $206 million.
The broadcaster believes Cash4Gold is the first direct-response advertiser to join the Super Bowl ad roster.
Commentators are not surprised that this year of all years marks DRTV's debut, as TV networks find it harder to sell inventory amid the recession.
Cash4Gold was founded in 2007 and is benefiting from the downturn as consumers want to offload their gold jewelry.
This article was first published on Marketing Direct
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...