Woolworths to be re-born as online shopping destination
LONDON - Woolworths is to be relaunched as an online retailer after being bought by Shop Direct, the internet shopping portal owned by Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay.
Before Woolworths went into administration it had invested heavily in its web offer. The store had a range of around 300,000 products online and customers had the ability to browse the site in-store.
Woolworths went into administration in November with debts of £385m, closing over 800 stores across the country after failing to find a buyer.
Over 30,000 Woolworth employees lost their jobs due to the closure, only a small number of them are expected to get them back when the company is relaunched online.
Shop Direct itself announced last week a large round of redundancies, affecting over 1,150 employees, mainly in its customer call centre in Crosby.
Details of the Woolworths online product range are expected within a number of months, however it is known that Shop Direct plans to revive Woolworths' children's clothing label Ladybird.
The Barclay brothers also own the Telegraph Media Group.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...