Twitter to begin charging brands for commercial use
LONDON - Twitter is planning to charge brands for using the micro-blogging website.
Co-founder Biz Stone told Marketing: 'We are noticing more companies using Twitter and individuals following them. We can identify ways to make this experience even more valuable and charge for commercial accounts.' He would not be drawn on the level of charges.
Stone said it could also create revenue-generating features to tap into the way brands use Twitter as a hybrid marketing and customer-service tool.
But Bob Pearson, vice-president of communities and conversations at Dell, said: 'If it becomes complicated and costly, our instinct would be to move elsewhere.' Robin Grant, managing director of social media agency We Are Social, said Twitter could charge for display ads or to access customer information for marketing.
Responding to a Marketing Twitter post asking whether they would continue to use the service if charged, brands were unconvinced. However, DVD and game rental company LoveFilm said: 'It depends - on price, demand and what else is around.'
Stone insisted Twitter would not charge individual users.
- Twitter has raised about $20m in venture capital and is backed by Union Square Ventures, Digital Garage, Spark Capital, and Bezos Expeditions (led by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos).
- It is reported to have turned down a $500m acquisition offer from Facebook.
- A new round of venture capital funding is said to value Twitter at $250m.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...