Obama's digital agency hired in fight against Royal Mail privatisation
LONDON - The digital agency behind Barack Obama's online election campaign, Blue State Digital, has been appointed by the Communication Workers Union to help it in the fight against the privatisation of Royal Mail.
Blue State Digital is developing campaign elements that it hopes will help persuade the government to reverse its plans to partially privatise the public company.
A spokesman for the CWU confirmed that the agency have been tasked to use tools that will "drive the protest message quickly and effectively".
The agency, which is hoping to woo the Labour Party and win its digital business, will be running online petitions and developing a social networking strategy.
The CWU is also looking to build its email database.
Blue State Digital's appointment comes as another player enters the bid to buy a 30% stake in the beleaguered publicly owned postal company.
De Post La Poste, a Belgian private equity backed postal group, will now make a bid alongside buyout firm CVC Capital Partners.
Dutch postal company TNT and DHL, a subsidiary of Deutsche Post, are also in the running for the 30 per cent share.
The government's plans, which are being overseen by business secretary Lord Mandelson, to sell the stake off to the private sector have been met with heavy criticism.
Workers, trade unions as many as 100 Labour backbenchers have all condemned the move.
Yesterday, in an interview with The Observer, business secretary Lord Mandelson accused the CWU of using "scare tactics" that could cost workers their pensions and their jobs. Mandelson said that the strength of opposition will not prompt the government to back-track on its sell-off plans.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Account Director Brand Recruitment £50000 per annum + bonus - depending on experience , St. Albans
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...