French lead European internet users in ad click-throughs
LONDON - Latest research shows that the French react more to online display ads than the rest of Europe, clicking through at an average rate of 0.18%, compared to 0.13% in the UK.
Results from Adtech's annual click-through analysis across Europe found that rates vary considerably throughout the course of the year, with significant differences from country to country.
In general, click-through rates peak toward the end of the year while users tend to ignore ads after the major shopping period in January, fluctuating between 0.11% and 0.19% during that period.
French users were found to be the most affected by advertising with an average click rate of 0.18%.
British click rates also score at the positive end of the scale along with the French -- achieving 0.13%.
At 0.10%, the German click rate lies within the European mid range.
Compared with other Europeans, Scandinavian online users prove to be more cautious, with 0.04% for Sweden, 0.05% for Finland and 0.06% for Norway.
The study found that click behaviour also varies depending on ad size.
The majority of clicks in the display field go to pop-ups, layers and the half-size format ads, with an average of 0.5%.
In October, however, European users clicked on "skyscraper" ads (0.3%) more often than the traditional full-size ads (0.2%).
Video ads also performed well with 1.7% click through rates.
Adtech also revealed click through trends in Europe over the past four years, topping out at nearly 0.35% in November 2004, declining gradually until October 2008 (0.12%).
The Adtech study evaluated more than 10bn banner enquiries to its ad servers across Europe, wit data collected between October and December 2008 from 5,000 web sites.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London