MEN Media sheds 150 jobs and closes weekly newspaper offices
LONDON - Manchester Evening News and local weekly papers owner MEN Media is to shed 150 jobs including 78 editorial roles and close eight offices around the Manchester area.
Management is currently holding a series of briefings with MEN's approximately 720 staff to inform them about the cuts.
The structure of MEN Media's local TV channel Channel M, which employs an additional 80 people, is still under a separate review and an announcement will be made in the near future.
None of the newspapers published by MEN, which include the Rochdale Observer and the Stockport Express, will be closed.
However, production of all weeklies will be moved to MEN's Scott Place offices in Manchester and offices closed in Accrington, Ashton, Macclesfield, Oldham, Rochdale, Rossendale, Salford and Wilmslow.
The Stockport office will be kept open but no editorial staff will be based there.
There will also be an announcement tomorrow regarding Guardian Media Group's other regional newspapers business, Surrey and Berkshire Media.
This group includes titles such as the Surrey Advertiser and the Reading Post.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Senior Digital Executive- £32K! Ultimate Asset £28000 - £32000 per annum, London
- Direct Marketing and CRM Executive Essence Branding Up to £25,000 plus benefits, London
- Comms Account Manager- HUGE travel client £37K Ultimate Asset £35000 - £37000 per annum, City of London