MEN cuts back on free copies
LONDON - GMG Regional Media is to slash the free circulation of the Manchester Evening News by about 75% to 20,000 copies on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
MEN Media said it would continue to distribute 90,000 free copies on Thursdays and Fridays.
Ruth Spratt, managing director of MEN Media, said the daily paper would continue to be on sale in all the usual outlets.
She said the changes had been made to reflect a drop in ad revenues, particularly at the start of the week, adding: "If the market comes back, this is something we can reverse and increase free copies at the beginning of the week."
Spratt insisted its part-free, part-paid distribution model continues to be a success. MEN adopted this method in May 2006, whereby free copies are handed out on the street and distributed by newsagents in the city centre, while readers in the suburbs pay for their copies.
In the final six months of last year, 81,092 copies of the total circulation of 153,724 were distributed free.
Les Middleton, joint head of WPP agency MediaCom's regional division, MediaCom Accent, said other city dailies could benefit from adopting a similar distribution model.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...