BBC fears backlash over 'expensive' ad
LONDON - The launch of an ad for BBC Radio 1, created by Fallon, has been put on hold by the BBC because of fears of a backlash from licence-fee payers.
BBC...holding back Fallon ad
The BBC has yet to decide if it will ever air the ad, which promotes Radio 1's DJs, because it feels that the spot looks too expensive.
It is not known how much the film cost to produce, although it is understood that it did not attract an extravagant production budget.
Other BBC roster agencies have also expressed concerns that the BBC is asking them to produce work that "looks good, but not too good", in response to growing pressures that the licence fee is spent resourcefully during recession.
The news comes two days after a paper by the Centre for Policy Studies called for BBC funding to be cut.
A BBC spokeswoman said: "We are still working out the best way to play out the campaign to be most effective in reaching younger audiences.
"The production costs are in line with other BBC campaigns of a similar scale and we work hard to ensure we deliver good value for our marketing spend."
The last major ad push for Radio 1 was "meet the DJs", a campaign by Agency Republic, which ran in cinemas and online.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)