Spotify tops one million users in the UK
LONDON - Free music-streaming service Spotify reached one million registered users in the UK at the weekend, despite only becoming free to access in February.
Spotify: Daniel Ek, chairman, and co-founder Martin Lorentzon
The news comes just over a month after Spotify reached its one million-user milestone across all its territories: the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Finland, Norway and Sweden.
About 40,000 new users sign up to the service every day, of which 50% to 60% are from the UK.
The Stockholm-based company allows users to stream millions of music tracks of their choice. While the service is free to the end user, funded through radio-style ads, Spotify has also launched a paid-for, ad-free service, differentiated by functionality and exclusive content.
Spotify was launched as an invite-only service on October 7 last year by founders Martin Lorentzon, previously co-founder of TradeDoubler, and 26-year-old chief executive Daniel Ek.
The business is expanding its sales operations and has more than 70 employees in Stock¬holm alone. Its UK office is led by sales director Jon Mitchell and newly appointed managing director Paul Brown.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London