Spotify tops one million users in the UK
LONDON - Free music-streaming service Spotify reached one million registered users in the UK at the weekend, despite only becoming free to access in February.
Spotify: Daniel Ek, chairman, and co-founder Martin Lorentzon
The news comes just over a month after Spotify reached its one million-user milestone across all its territories: the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Finland, Norway and Sweden.
About 40,000 new users sign up to the service every day, of which 50% to 60% are from the UK.
The Stockholm-based company allows users to stream millions of music tracks of their choice. While the service is free to the end user, funded through radio-style ads, Spotify has also launched a paid-for, ad-free service, differentiated by functionality and exclusive content.
Spotify was launched as an invite-only service on October 7 last year by founders Martin Lorentzon, previously co-founder of TradeDoubler, and 26-year-old chief executive Daniel Ek.
The business is expanding its sales operations and has more than 70 employees in Stock¬holm alone. Its UK office is led by sales director Jon Mitchell and newly appointed managing director Paul Brown.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Major Players £45000 - £55000 per annum, London