Magners Pear ad pokes fun at bogus claims
LONDON - Comedian Mark Watson mocks the exaggerated claims made by companies on a daily basis in a television ad for Magners Pear, designed to highlight that it is made from 100% pear juice.
The first of three TV spots, which breaks tonight across multiple stations, features 'Mock the Week' regular Watson ranting about the bogus claims he encounters in his day-to-day life.
These include a tiny burger described as "gigantaburger" and a romcom promoted as the "funniest film of the decade".
The following two ads hone in on one particular grievance each -- an over-eager salesman and a well packaged, meaningless promotion.
The ads carry the strapline: "Magners Pear: 100% Pear 0% Disappointment".
Russell Schaller, creative director/writer at Euro RSCG, said that the creative idea came from the discovery that Magners Pear cider contains only 100% pear fruit.
This led the agency to think about all the other things in life that are "not quite what they say they are".
Watson was chosen as a figurehead for the campaign to represent the "voice of the people".
Schaller said that the aim of the campaign is to ralaunch Magners with "more personality" and to differentiate it as a premium cider brand.
The campaign's creative directors/writers were Schaller and Ben Clapp. It was directed by Michael Downing through Epoch London and produced by Amy Friend.
The digital element of the campaign will include a weekly Mark Watson webcam on the Magners website, featuring video rants.
MPG has brokered media partnerships with Bauer TV and Absolute radio, which will see Magners do a "100% take-over" of the May Day bank holiday weekend.
The campaign will also include a Magners pub finder mobile application and a number of experiential events run by Cake.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...