Guardian considers charging for content
LONDON - Carolyn McCall, chief executive of Guardian Media Group, has revealed that the newspaper publisher is considering charging for content in some specialist areas of Guardian.co.uk.
McCall, who was speaking at the opening session of the Fipp World Magazine Congress in London, said that MediaGuardian.co.uk is one of the specialist areas that GMG should consider charging for.
McCall said: "More people are looking seriously at how they can make money charging for content that costs a lot of money to make. I don't think we will be doing much content online in B2B unless we get money for it.
"It's crazy that we do so much to put content out there but we don't get money for it."
McCall said the traffic Google drives to news websites is "no longer a fair swap because we can't really monetise traffic in the way we were".
GMG has spoken about charging for online content before.
Tim Brooks, managing director of Guardian News & Media, said at the FT's Digital Media Conference in March that a big organisation such as the New York Times would need to be the first to charge for content and then smaller organisation could follow suit.
He said if he could get his "wish this year it would be that New York Times would put up a pay wall, then we could achieve all our objectives".
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...