Brit wins 'best job in the world' as Tourism Queensland reaps benefits
LONDON - Tourism Queensland's competition to win the "best job in the world" has ended with 34-year-old British contestant Ben Southall being picked from almost 35,000 applicants to be an island caretaker.
He will now spend six months living and working on Hamilton Island, with the job including a three-bed house and salary of A$150,000 (£74,000).
In return, he has to keep a blog and undertake light caretaking duties, including feeding fish.
The "best job in the world" campaign has been hailed as a huge success for Tourism Queensland in promoting the destination.
It launched in the middle of the northern winter this January, and attracted almost 35,000 applicants and vast amounts of press coverage.
Tourism Queensland boss Anthony Hayes said that an estimated A$110m (£54m) in publicity had been generated by the campaign.
The finalists came from all over the world, including key markets for Australian tourism such as Japan, the US and, of course, Britain.
From 50 shortlisted candidates Tourism Queensland chose 16 finalists, who have spent the past week discovering the taste of Vegemite, snorkelling and taking part in swimming tests in a bid to impress judges.
Winner Southall comes from Hampshire and said that he "loved meeting people" in his video application. He starts the job on July 1.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...