Co-operative Group posts record profits
LONDON - Mutual retailer The Co-operative Group has posted record results, driven by product re-launches and improvements to service levels and pricing.
The company said food profits were up 38%, banking was up 49%, pharmacy was up 19% and overall operating profit was up 11%.
The annual results considered the 52 weeks ending 10 January, 2009.
Chief Executive Peter Marks contributed the company's success to a rejuvenated Co-operative Group.
He said the food business has been driven by successful store refits, product innovation and greater customer service.
The deal to buy Somerfield has also helped to transform the business, he claimed, making The Co-operative the fifth major player in the grocery market.
Marks added the group's financial services business is merging with the Britannia Building Society, which would result in the creation of a financial "super-mutual".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...